14.4.11

Five minutes for no-one

It's grey out there,
and that nicely
coincides with the grey
zone inside me.
It's been a lot like that
after waking up,
it takes me time
to again slip into the world
after the absence of sleep,
the tie to another world,
which seems to have
become rather dull
as I mostly don't dream
any more. I used to
write for someone,
but even that has stopped.
I might drive to work
with her in half an hour,
but not even that
has been decided.
We are that spontaneous.
So let this be a
spontaneous day –
hey, I've got enough
hair on my head
to pull myself
out of the grey.

– Iself (© 2011)

Written for day 14 of NaPoWriMo in about 5 minutes, as suggested.

5 comments:

vivinfrance said...

For a five-minute poem, this is exceptionally good. Does it also fulfil the PAD prompt (I think) to write a poem about a past relationship? It sounds as though it ought to be ongoing, though, so I'm probably wrong.

Anonymous said...

A productive five minutes!

Stan Ski said...

You did well in a short time.

Gloria said...

Excellent! That final line is fantastic!

Andy Sewina said...

I'm sorry to hear that the narrator doesn't dream anymore.

Very impressive for a 'five minute' piece!!